Welcome to our website for the latest news on travel, events, food/beer, or just about anything that interests us, or might interest you.

22 May 2012

I could get used to that

Whenever we check in before a flight I always show as many people as possible just how long my legs are.  This often sparks a bit of friendly conversation and usually Jacks and I are given exit row seats.  Before our recent flight from Cape Town to Dubai, on the way to Istanbul, I performed my usual tricks.  Unfortunately they only had 1 exit row seat available and we decided that I should take it.  Jackie is ranked 1 in the world when it comes to sleeping on a plane so she's not overly concerned if I'm not next to her. 

We boarded and I found my seat, stretching out and performing the usual pre-flight checks.  I turned on my 'award winning' entertainment system but after a few flashing lights and splutters it decided to die.  I let the air hostesses show us how to buckle our seatbelts and then brought it her attention that I was not a happy chappy.  My system was reset a couple of times but nothing worked.  She approached nervously and asked if it would be alright if they moved me to business class.  'Um, yes, I suppose that will just have to do', I replied, holding back the tears of joy. 

I think if there was an extensive worldwide study on who would make the most of such an opportunity I would be at the top of the list.  I tucked in my shirt and followed her towards the front of the plane without even the slightest glance back.  My new improved seat come lounger was soft yet supportive.  I reclined it down almost all the way and let my fully extended legs settle perfectly into position.  My waiter (as I preferred to call him) stood attentively at my side as I browsed through the wine list.  It was a tough call but I finally I decided that the cheeky little Italian Pinot Grigio would be just right to get me into the swing of things.  Relaxing back, with a bowl of lightly warmed nuts, I turned on my big screen, scrolling through the seemingly infinite movie options.  I turned my attention to a lovely NZ Sauvignon Blanc and began to study the food menu.  The Sauvignon Blanc was going down rather well so I decided to nibble on some marinated seafood delights.  A little while later I was presented with the Seafood Thermidor, which stood up wonderfully to the crisp acid of the wine.  The crayfish was especially fresh and perfectly prepared.  I had a little go at the 2000 Vintage Red Bordeaux and after a couple of movies, and a superb cheese platter and port, I felt a bit of a bump and remembered where I was. 

Is flying business class worth the money you may ask.  I'm not sure, I didn't pay for it?  What I am sure of however is that I could certainly get used to travelling like that.                      

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home